Saturday, April 21, 2012

Simple Work Full Soul


There is an elemental soothing
a renewal of the inner being
found within comparative simplicity
(hence my term simple work).

Sans computer, sans software
beyond the reach of text or tweet
hand to flour, milk and egg
(hence my label simple work)

Glorious, straighforward, free
water, yeast, loaves rising free
unfetterd by technology

The oven warms, the towels are draped
my gaze is drawn to window-scape
the field fresh turned
the crows approve

For these few hours time is stopped
it hovers in overlap
it could be any year in this old farmhouse
this old kitchen, with these timeworn bowls

For a heartbeat of history
I am connected, interlaced in purpose
with each of the women before me
who have stood
here
looking out this window
in this kitchen
hands covered in flour
with the tic-tic-tic of their oven warming.

Blessed be, simplicity
your joys, all but lost to haste
are under-rated

**Wheat and basic white breads in my image of recent bread baking**
Text & Images by IDF 2012

1 comment:

BumbleBeeLane said...

I could picture grandma in the old farmhouse baking.Yes the simple life.Ahhhh.