Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Reason Is, Simply, "Because"

*
*
Last nite I was watching (gosh, don't judge, roflmao) Dance Moms 
because I remain fascinated with the fluidity, the movement, the emotion 
dancers are able to convey with movement and facial expression alone.

As a child and young adult I studied ballet - I was abysmal (perhaps even horrid lol)
but loved the look, the feel the magic and mystery of dance. 
Dance is ancient, one of the core paths of creative human expression.

I don't know why but I started to think about the 'why' of what drives each of us.

Those of science seek knowledge, answers.
Those of engineering seek efficiency, strength, stability. 
Those of medicine seek cures, comfort.
Archaeologists seek understanding of cultures, history.

I pondered what it is that those who seek the artistic search for?
The artists: of words, of fiber, of cloth, of glass, of clay, of music
Of dance, of song, of instruments, of story, of paint, 
Those of such passions, such callings. 
Those who capture the undeniable well inside them
That demands to be set free to the outer world
(even if no one is watching or cares).

Why do they seek? Why do they do what they do?
And it occurred to me I have never known (no do I myself) 
Create for any reason I can perceive other than 

BECAUSE

They simply want to, need to, have (or will learn) to resist is sadness and despair.
Creativity (in endless form) springs up, wells up, fills to overflowing and demands (only) release... 

Shared it multiplies, nurtured it flourished, honored it strengthens. 
Even held secret, it restores the one who cares for it within themselves.

Still as to 'why'?
I believe the reason isn't for outcome or goal
I think, rather the reason is

Simply  

Because

*dance, sing, sew, bead, write, paint, garden, ______ (fill in your calling)*
Honor your gift, alone or shared, honor your gift

Issy


2 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

So true. Same reason for explaining why the muse takes a vacation, like mine has. Happens just because. It'll come back in due time.

Woman Seeking Center said...

You're so right :-) every productive muse needs a holiday ~ can't wait to see what you create when she returns my friend....

Hugs, Issy